From v7.3, you can follow the steps below to assign the necessary user permission to use the Metadata Search.
Step 1 - Assign the managed (existing) Metadata Search Permissions permission set. [Required]
Go to Setup -> Permission Sets -> Click on “Metadata Search Permissions” -> Click on the Manage Assignments button.
Assign this permission set to desired users.
Step 2 - Create (and assign) a new permission set labeled Metadata Search Permissions (with API Enabled). [Required]
Please create a “Metadata Search Permissions (with API Enabled)” permission set and assign this permission set to desired users.
Go to Setup -> Permission Sets -> Click on Create button -> Enter label as “Metadata Search Permissions (with API Enabled)” -> Click Save.
Click on “System Permissions”.
Click Edit -> Mark “API Enabled” & “Lightning Experience User” checkboxes as True -> Click Save.
For users needing search access to set up and config entities like Flows, workflow rules, etc., mark the “View Setup and Configuration” checkbox as True-> Click Save. The “View Roles and Role Hierarchy” permission will be automatically checked.
For users needing search access to Buttons and Links, mark the "Customize Application" checkbox as True-> Click Save.
Now assign this new permission set to desired users.
Step 3 - Enable Lightning Web Security [Required]
- Please enable Lightning Web Security.
- Go To Setup -> Session Settings -> Lightning Web Security
- Mark Use Lightning Web Security for Lightning web components checkbox as True.
Step 4-Add remote site setting for classic UI [Required for classic UI]
Go to the Salesforce classic UI and open the Metadata Search tab.
Could you copy the URL as shown below?
Go to Setup -> Remote Site Settings -> Click New Remote Site -> Add remote site name and remote site URL with copied URL in step 2 above.
- View Setup and Config permission are required to search the following metadata entities:
ExternalString (Custom Labels)
- Customize Application permission is required to search Buttons and Links.
- API Enabled permission is required irrespective of the search (metadata) entity.